Monday, February 13, 2006

Winter letdown


I love a good snow, but it seems like we just don't get many here in Northeast Kentucky anymore. This weekend, forecasters kept predicting 3-6 inches (which these days is a good snowstorm for us) but it never happened. It snowed on and off for three days straight, but it usually melted as fast as it fell. We barely had enough sticking to the trees for me to grab this shot Saturday morning, and I don't think it ever accumulated much more than an inch.



Seems like when I was a kid, we used to get several inches of snow several times a year. Perhaps I'm cramming the memories of a bunch of winters together in my mind, but everyone else seems to think the same thing. A really big winter storm (8 inches plus) is simply unheard of anymore around here.



We got the kids sleds for Christmas this year, and so far haven't had a chance to really use them. We dragged them out early Saturday morning before everything melted, but with only about an inch on the ground, there just wasn't much to it. With February half over now, the outlook for a big snow is once again dwindling away.

1 comment:

stacey abshire said...

I know just what you mean. I remember multiple 3 foot snows. We had more than you guys, but still not very much. You can see ours here...

http://www.4haks.net/4haks/Let%20it%20Snow.html

Ours hit Sunday morning.