Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Statue at Boyd County Courthouse

I shot this at the Boyd County Courthouse the other day in Catlettsburg, Ky., and actually stopped for once to read who this was a statue of. It's of a former Kentucky Court of Appeals judge named John Milton Elliott, who was also a state representative. He died in office after being assassinated by Col. Thomas Buford on March 26, 1879 at the Capitol Hotel in Frankfort, Ky. The one thing I'm not sure about is what he's doing in Boyd County, because I could find no local ties to him. He was born in Scott County, Va., and later moved to Morgan County, Kentucky, in an area that is now Elliott County. Elliott County is named after him.

Catlettsburg is a pretty neat little place with some historic buildings and neat architecture (at least for this area). One day, if I get some free time, I would like to wander around the downtown area and shoot a few shots. If I do that, I'll post a web photo gallery to look at here.

No comments: