Friday, May 26, 2006

Photo Tip No. 68


... make sure your camera strap isn't hanging into the frame. You'd think this would be obvious with digital cameras that use LCDs nowadays to show you exactly how your photo will look. In fact, the Fuji F10 that I have did away with the viewfinder completely to make room for a larger LCD. Still, I don't even use that sometimes, as in this case. I held the camera down to get a really low angle and just trusted my autofocus and fired off a few shots. I liked the exposure and composition of this shot the best ... minus the camera strap of course :-)

My other camera that I use is a Nikon D100 digital SLR. I have lots of people ask me if they can use the LCD on the back of their digital SLR to see the photos before they take them. The thing is, with the digital SLR, it's pretty much impossible because it works just like a film camera with a shutter that opens, exposes what it sees onto a chip behind the shutter, then stops when it closes ... therefore there is no way for the chip to "see" what it is about to take. The tiny point-and-shoot digitals that most people use have chips that are more similar to video cameras, therefore they can do a "preview" of what you're about to shoot.

That's probably more long and rambling than anyone wanted to read, but just thought I'd throw it out there.

1 comment:

stacey abshire said...

Interesting... You learn something new everyday. I've doen that camera strap thing way too many times. :-)